Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Done!!!

I am officially calling it quits for canning fruits/vegetables this year. I haven't done that much, but it has just stretched over too many weeks and I am tired of it! I bought cases of peaches and pears because I like the home canned so much better than the stuff from the stores. As Joe always points out, this does not save any money and takes a lot of time...so why am I doing it? Well, because that's what you do at the end of the summer! Anyway, I also canned tomatoes and carrots from our garden. That's a fulfilling thing to know that we grew it ourselves! There are still tomatoes ripening, but they'll have to go somewhere else (the freezer, my mom's house or anywhere else...) because I am retiring the canning stuff for the year and it is not coming out again! I've decided that canning is a little like pregnancy/child birth. It sounds like such a good idea, you get into the "thick of it" when it's too late to turn back and think, "I'm never doing this again!" But, the result is so worth it! Enough time passes and somehow I forget and end up doing it all over again!

Sorry, no cute pictures of all the bottles in a row, I'm way past caring at this point! :-)

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I love the comparison to pregnancy...true, so true!

Julie Clark said...

I wish I lived close enough to get those tomatoes. I haven't canned in over 20 years. It is so much more expensive that it's not worth it. But I actually like to can a few basic things. The sound of the lids sealing is fulfilling (sp?) I totally relate to the pregnancy comparison. Spoken by a woman who is 7 month pregnant! I love reading your blog! :o)