Friday, September 5, 2008

Ripe Peaches, Sick Babies and a Cool Scar!

That about sums up my last few days. Andrew was up Tuesday and Wednesday nights with a crazy high temperature. We first discovered that he was sick Tuesday night at about 11:00PM. Joe went in to close his window so that he wouldn't get too cold during the night (that's our nightly routine now because it is getting soooo stinking cold at night, not that I'm complaining, anyway, back to the story.) He was in there moaning and tossing around and looked up when he heard someone come in. He was burning up! At that point his temp was 105.4 and he was miserable. Of course, we got on the phone with the after-hours line for our pediatrician, which is actually just the pediatric triage (sp?) nurse at one of the hospitals. After a dose of Motrin and a 20-minute luke-warm bath (which, btw he hated because he just wanted to be sleeping!) the temp came down to about 103.5. The nurse said to keep him on the motrin, watch him closely and call the doc in the morning. So, that was a long night. He woke up apparently fine the next morning so we thought he was over it, whatever it was. We asked my mom to come over that night to babysit so that we could go on a much overdue date. Well, by bedtime he was burning up again and miserable, and that was with Motrin already in his system. Poor Kid! Another long night, even with the medicine, his temp was pushing 104 all night. I took him to the doc Thursday and, wouldn't cha' guess, his temp was 97.8. Typical! The doc was still concerned though to have such a high temp with no other symptoms and he started talking about things that present that way such as Meningitis, bacteria in the blood and urinary tract infections. Yah, that's a good way to freak a mom out! He gave me a list of symptoms and said that if he develops any one of those or a combination along with the temp to bring him to the office or the ER if it's after hours. Scary! Thankfully, his temp last night at bedtime was only 100, no problems during the night and he woke up this morning just fine. Prayers are answered! We'll still watch him closely but I think that it was just a bug that's now about out of his system.

Of course, the stress of having a sick and miserable kid who just wants to be held all of the time for three days straight wasn't enough. I also had 2 cases of tomatoes and 3 cases of peaches that were ripe and needed to be canned .... immediately! (Sigh...) Oh, and then on Tuesday morning our garage door jumped track after Joe pulled out to go to work, that was a little scary. So, my car was held hostage until the repair man came and fixed it, not that I was really planning on going many places, but it still added to the craziness of the day. Not an easy combination, but I survived (and so did my sick baby and most of the peaches and tomatoes). I did end up throwing the last 1/2 case of peaches in the freezer (nicely peeled and sliced, I wasn't that desperate!) because I couldn't bring myself to do another batch of jars that day. Joe thinks that I'm crazy for canning. I think that's it's very fulfilling and helps me feel a little more self-sufficient. It would have been cooler if it was stuff that had come out of my own garden, but not this year! I still have one case of pears to go and they are just starting to be ripe enough so I'll have to start those today or tomorrow. But then that's it, for this year!

As for the scar, that would be Sam's injury which he's pretty proud of! I dropped him off at Rob and Bre's to play while I took Andrew to the doctor. Apparently they were tickling and running around and just being silly, nothing unusual, but Sam ran into their bed frame. It hit him right between the eyes and he has check-mark shaped cut. It's not very deep, but I imagine it'll still leave a scar. Boys like that, right? Well, for right now he's just thrilled to have a bandaid in the middle of his face.

Man, am I glad it's almost the weekend...and this was even a 4-day week!


Valerie said...

a check mark scar is almost a cool as a lightning scar a la Harry Potter...

Melanie said...

Your canned goods look so pretty. to watch my mother can.....does that count? One of these years I will do it myself.

A side note on Andrew. If he develops a really fine rash in the next few days I would suspect Roseola. The symptoms are a high fever (with no other symptoms)....fever goes away.....two days later a fine rash begins. Isaac just had it a few weeks ago. IT seems to be going around. So...if that is what it end up being. No problem. Home remedies are all that is needed for the temperature (of course by the time they get the rash two days later and you realize what it is.....the fever is gone). Go figure.

Melanie said...

oh...and it's not contagious once the fever is gone.

Now...I'm not a doctor...I am just trying to relieve some stress.

Rash either today or tomorrow = no stress.

Kristin said...

oh my heavens chari! what a week! Beautiful canning! Hope mine turns out half as well..i just have pears for my first go at it! It's always scary when one of the kids pulls a freak fever on you. Glad he is doing better! hope you have a, dare I say it, quiet weekend!

Heather said...

Oh wow you are amazing!!!! I love canned peaches and pears. Yours looked yummy!!!!